This course has a mixture of practical and theory and is delivered making use of the excellent Agricultural facilities including farms, dairy and workshops.
Students are able to access a range of additional learning support, based on need and well supported through the use virtual learning resources. A range of employability skills will be developed whilst on the course including practical skills, communication, and land-based specific knowledge, and development of ICT skills. Students will also get the opportunity to carry out work experience on external placements.
1 year, full-time
The following are examples of some of the topics students can expect to study within the course:
• Environment and land-based business
• Introduction to crop establishment
• Introduction to farm animal production
• Introduction to land-based machinery operations
• Participate in providing estate maintenance
• Undertake work-related experience in the land-based industries
• Functional skills/GCSE - English and maths
Students will be assessed throughout the course using assignments, projects, practical tests and external assessments. Students are encouraged to relate theory to practice in all assessments.
You will need a minimum of four GCSEs C-D / 4-3 Grade or equivalent (Level 1 Diploma), which must include GCSE in English OR maths A-D / 9-3 Grade or equivalent.
Once completed students can progress onto a Level 3 qualification or enter the agricultural industry.
Steel toe-capped boots, wellington boots, waterproof clothing, Hadlow college t-shirt, jersey and overalls.
Specialist Equipment Needed
In addition to standard college equipment, students will need steel toe-capped boots, wellington boots, waterproof clothing and a Hadlow College t-shirt and overalls.
- 270 hectare fully functioning commercial farm with an additional 40 hectares of grazing land
- 130 cow award-winning dairy herd with fully functioning dairy unit
- 600 breeding sheep producing prime butcher's lamb
- 2 commercial farm shops
- Intensively managed grass leys, pastures and forage crop
- Maize, wheat, oilseed rape and other crops grown on a commercial basis
- Beef unit
- Laboratories for soil, plant, and animal science
Please note that all programme specifications and course modules are subject to annual change.