Useful for those requiring a basic knowledge of agriculture, students are trained on machinery and learn how to handle livestock (such as sheep and cows), crops, and ultimately how to work on a modern farm. You will benefit from a combination of lectures and practical farm sessions, all of which are designed to enhance future employability.
1 year, 4 or 5 days a week
- Environment and land-based business
- Introduction to crop establishment
- Introduction to farm animal production
- Introduction to land-based machinery operations
- Participate in providing estate maintenance
- Undertake work-related experience in the land-based industries
- Functional skills/GCSE – English and Mathematics
Students will be assessed throughout the course using assignments, projects, practical tests and external assessments. Students are encouraged to relate theory to practice in all assessments.
Minimum of 4 GCSEs C - D / 4 - 3 Grade or equivalent (Level 1 Diploma), which must include GCSE in English OR maths A - D / 9 – 3 Grade or equivalent.
Students should have a keen interest in the subject.
Successful students can progress to a L3 Diploma or straight into employment.
Additional Learning Opportunities:
Students may have the opportunity to undertake additional short vocational qualifications as part of their course. These are designed to support future careers.
Specialist Equipment Needed
In addition to standard college equipment, students will need steel toe-capped boots, wellington boots, waterproof clothing and a Hadlow College t-shirt and overalls.
Agriculture Body Warmer
Agriculture Polo Shirt
Agriculture Boiler Suit
Land-Based Technology Rugby Shirt
Land-Based Technology Sweatshirt
Land-Based Technology Polo Shirt
Land-Based Technology Boiler Suit
- 270 hectare fully functioning commercial farm with an additional 40 hectares of grazing land
- 130 cow award-winning dairy herd with fully functioning dairy unit
- 600 breeding sheep producing prime butcher's lamb
- 2 commercial farm shops
- Intensively managed grass leys, pastures and forage crop
- Maize, wheat, oilseed rape and other crops grown on a commercial basis
- Beef unit
- Laboratories for soil, plant, and animal science
Please note that all programme specifications and course modules are subject to annual change.