This highly practical course is an ideal starting point
for those students with few formal qualifications.
Covering the basics of handling, feeding and the
setting up of accommodation for a wide range
of species, this course will enable you to learn
how to work safely, care for and maintain animal
accommodation in our custom-built animal
1 year, full-time
• Safe and effective work practices in land-based
• Develop performance in land-based industries
• Assist with maintaining the health and wellbeing
• Animals in the wild and in society
• Assist with the handling and restraint of animals
• Assist with the preparation and maintenance of
• Assist with the feeding and watering of animals
• Functional skills/GCSE - English and maths
You will need a minimum of two GCSEs at D-E / 3-2
Grade or equivalent (Entry level 3).
You should also have a keen interest in the subject and
demonstrate a commitment to the curriculum area.
SPECIALIST EQUIPMENT NEEDED
In addition to standard College equipment, students will
need steel toe-capped boots, waterproof clothing, black
cargo trousers and a Hadlow animal management jacket
Short multiple choice examinations, plus a portfolio of
evidence that will be marked by an external examiner.
Successful students can further enhance their skills by
enrolling onto the Level 2 Diploma in Animal Care or,
should they wish to, progress into an Apprenticeship.
- Multi-million pound animal management home to a range of species
- Small mammals, invertebrates, reptiles, amphibians, aquatics and grazing animals
- Extensive paddock facilities
- 6 custom built aviaries for exotic birds
- Commercial dog grooming salon
- Fully functioning veterinary nursing training suite equipped for teaching purposes
Animal rescue centres, animal charities, zoos and wildlife parks, as well as educational institutions and retail outlets.
Students benefit from close ties with a number of different organisations including the Wildlife Heritage Foundation, the Kent Wildlife Trust as well as local zoos, wildlife parks and rare breed centres.
Please note that all programme specifications and course modules are subject to annual change.