This course is aimed at students who are looking
for a career in the animal care industry, whether
that be boarding kennels, catteries, pet breeders,
training, grooming, animal welfare charities, zoos,
wildlife parks, public services or performing animals
in film and television. Or looking to progress in
to Higher education looking for careers in animal
science, veterinary nursing, behaviour and welfare or
1 year, full-time
• Maintain animal health and welfare
• Undertake practical animal feeding
• Maintain animal accommodation
• Undertake work related experience in the
• Introduction to the principles and practice of animal
behaviour and handling
• Understanding the basic principles of animal biology
• Understand animal breeds and grooming
• Functional skills/GCSE - English and maths
You will need a minimum of four GCSEs C-D / 4-3
Grade or equivalent (Level 1 Diploma), which must
include GCSE in English OR maths A-D / 9-3 Grade
SPECIALIST EQUIPMENT NEEDED
In addition to standard College equipment, students will
need steel toe-capped boots, waterproof clothing, black
cargo trousers and a Hadlow animal management jacket
Students will be assessed throughout the course
using assignments, tests and practical observations.
Students are encouraged to relate theory to practice
in all assessments.
Students can progress onto our Level 3 qualification
or into employment.
- Multi-million pound animal management home to a range of species
- Small mammals, invertebrates, reptiles, amphibians, aquatics and grazing animals
- Extensive paddock facilities
- 6 custom built aviaries for exotic birds
- Commercial dog grooming salon
- Fully functioning veterinary nursing training suite equipped for teaching purposes
Animal rescue centres, animal charities, zoos and wildlife parks, as well as educational institutions and retail outlets.
Students benefit from close ties with a number of different organisations including the Wildlife Heritage Foundation, the Kent Wildlife Trust as well as local zoos, wildlife parks and rare breed centres.
Please note that all programme specifications and course modules are subject to annual change.