Designed to provide you with a range of supervisory and core people skills, as well as a practical knowledge in the outdoor sports and leisure sectors focusing on kayaking, canoeing, archery and climbing, this course is ideal for those students who wish to build a career within these professions. You will gain an understanding on the impact of outdoor adventure pursuits on the environment as well as sports coaching and how to organise sporting events.
A sport Team Course:
This course is linked to our Sports Teams and represents an exciting opportunity for aspiring sports professionals. Working with respected organisations, our Sports Teams offer competitive fixtures, professional coaching and the opportunity to develop your skills further.
Extended Diploma - 2 years.
90 Credit Diploma - 1 year.
Five days a week, 34 weeks per year plus work experience.
Year 1 Extended Diploma and 90 Credit
- Principles of anatomy and physiology in sport
- The physiology of fitness
- Assessing risk in sport
- Fitness training and programming
- Leadership in sport
- Principles and practices in outdoor activities
- Equipment and facilities for outdoor and adventurous activities
- Sports nutrition
- Skills for land based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Skills for water based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Functional skills/GCSE- English and Maths (90 Credit Only)
Year 2 Extended Diploma
- Sports injuries
- Organising sports events
- Physical education and the care of children
- Work experience in sport
- Impact and sustainability in outdoor adventure
- Leading land based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Leading water based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Outdoor and adventurous expedition
- Alternative pursuits for outdoor adventure
Students will be assessed throughout the course using assignments, tests and practical observations.
180 Credit Diploma
Minimum of 5 GCSEs grades A*- C / 9 - 4 or equivalent (Level 2 Diploma at Merit), which must include GCSEs in English AND maths A*- C / 9 – 4 Grade
90 Credit Diploma
Minimum of 4 GCSEs A*- C / 9 - 4 Grade or equivalent (Level 2 Diploma at Merit), which must include GCSE in English OR maths A*- C / 9 – 4 Grade
- Progression route: 180 Credit Diploma level 3
Applicants to this course who wish to join one of our Sports Teams will also, in addition to meeting the College entry criteria, need to fulfil any
individual and league entry requirements relating to the Sport Team.
Successful students can progress into higher education or into employment.
Successful students can progress into the 2nd year of the Extended Diploma or into employment.
Additional Learning Opportunities:
Students may have the opportunity to undertake additional short qualifications as part of their course. These are designed to support future careers.
Specialist Equipment Needed:
In addition to standard college equipment, students will need appropriate sports clothing for practical activities, warm and waterproof clothing for outdoor activities and a pair of walking boots for expeditions.
Initially I joined the College on the Level 2 Diploma in Sport (Outdoor Activities) course. Once I’d completed that, I decided that I wanted to develop my knowledge further and the Level 3 Extended Diploma course seemed ideal. It is a subject that I really enjoy and to be able to do it as a job would be absolutely perfect. The practical side of the course is great. You get to learn lots of new skills and the tutors are really helpful. My ultimate plan, once I finish this qualification, is to get a job in the outdoor activities area and this course has given me an indication of what my future may hold. My advice to any future students thinking of studying this course is that, whilst you are here try and gain as many additional sport-specific qualifications as you can – this will really help with your future career opportunities.
- Own canoes, river licences and use of private lake
- Archery range
- Fully qualified archery, canoe and kayak coaches
- Outdoor netball and tennis courts
- Plannned raft building and racing
- Fitness testing equipment
Students benefit from close ties with Kent Canoes, Tree-Jumpers and other local organisations.
Please note that all programme specifications and course modules are subject to annual change.